Now here we are going to talk about school being closed On MLK Day. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, often known as MLK Day or the Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., is a federal holiday in the United States that honors the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. Every year, it is observed on the third Monday in January. King was born on January 15th, 1929. (which in 1929 fell on a Tuesday). The day off is comparable to days off determined by the Uniform Monday Holiday Act. The earliest and latest Mondays for this holiday are January 15 and 21, respectively.
King served as the principal advocate for peaceful activism in the Civil Rights Movement, which opposed racial inequality in federal and state law. Soon after King’s murder in 1968, a movement to establish a federal holiday in his memory was launched. President Ronald Reagan officially enacted the holiday in 1983, and it was first observed on January 20th, 1986. Initially, some states refused to observe the holiday as such, renaming it or merging it with other occasions. The first time it was formally celebrated in all 50 states was in 2000.
Let us see in the next paragraph, Is school closed on MLK Day?
Is School Closed On MLK Day?
On Monday, January 18, 2021, schools will be closed to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. We hope you use this opportunity to remember and honor Dr. King’s life. We hope to welcome our scholars back on Tuesday, January 19 at 8:30 am.
“The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
We are going to read in the next step what closed and on open on this day,
What Opened And Closed On MLK Day?
- Delivery And Postal Services- On Monday, UPS and FedEx will deliver parcels instead of the United States Post Office, which will be closed.
- Financial Institutions- Although banks including Capital One, Bank of America, Chase, and Citi Bank are closed on Monday, consumers can still access ATMs and online banking services. Moreover, both the NASDAQ and the New York Stock Exchange are shut down.
- Retail- On Monday, major retail outlets including Target, Walmart, and Costco are open. Grocery stores and national restaurant brands are both open, but the hours may change depending on staffing and COVID-19. Verify the opening and closing times of the shops and eateries in your neighborhood.
- Government agencies- City offices and public libraries are examples of non-essential government institutions, along with the Department of Motor Vehicles and state and federal courthouses.
Here is a list of the businesses that will be open and closed on MLK Day in observance of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. The commemoration honors the murdered civil rights activist, who on January 15th would have turned 94 years old.
Unlike Christmas Day or New Year’s Day, MLK Day does not result in widespread company closures, but some necessary services can be harder to access or unavailable on this day.
- All federal, state, county, and municipal offices and the Lincoln Library and Oak Ridge Cemetery’s administration buildings are closed.
- Banks will be closed, including Chase and U.S. Bank. Some of their services are still available online or through their mobile apps.
- Medical School of Southern Illinois University
- Midwest Technical College (administrative offices open)
- Community College of Lincoln Land
- Springfield Campus of the University of Illinois
- District 186 of Springfield
- Lincoln Memorial
- Exchange in New York
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is currently open.
- Visitor’s Center at Lincoln Home
- State Museum of Illinois
- Buses operated by Sangamon Mass Transit District adhere to set schedules.
- The majority of grocers and eateries
Is Martin Luther King Day a holiday?
To honor the man who was so instrumental in the civil rights and social justice movements, Rev. Martin Luther King’s birthday is recognized as a federal holiday each year. On Monday, January 17, 2022, will celebrate the 35th anniversary of the commemoration that was started to honor King’s lifetime of civic service.
Our History Is Our Future!
Celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., at Plano ISD’s “BELIEVE IN THE DREAM” Celebration. As a reminder, Plano ISD schools and offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 16, in observance of MLK Day.#BelievePlanoISD #PlanoISDCultureofCommunity pic.twitter.com/FGLoxtn6us
— Plano ISD (@Plano_Schools) January 13, 2023
As we discussed above Is School Closed on MLK Day, I hope from the article you get to know what is open or closed on this day and also share the same with your friends and support us on Trending News and tell us in the comment section given below what you want to read next.